Variability testwork and pilot plant production confirms Chilalo continues to produce one of the coarsest flake size distributions in the world.
CHILALO LIFE OF MINE SIZE DISTRIBUTION AND WEIGHTED AVERAGE SALES PRICE
Source: ASX Announcement –Definitive Feasibility Study
Chilalo graphite has a demonstrated ability to produce a large and jumbo premium graphite flake, possessing outstanding expandability characteristics, making it ideally suited to the rapidly growing expandable graphite market.
Graphex has adopted a clear and differentiated strategy to produce graphite for the expandable graphite market based on flake suitability for the manufacture of flame-retardant building materials and their attractive growth and value characteristics.
FLAME RETARDANT BUILDING MATERIALS – A DEMAND SOURCE THAT MAY OUTSTRIP BATTERIES
Demand for expandable graphite is growing rapidly, particularly given its application in the manufacture of flame-retardant building materials. This demand growth is being driven strongly by China, where the Government is encouraging the use of flame-retardant materials in the construction of all new buildings. This source of demand for expandable graphite represents a shift from a small, specialized market, to a large volume market.
The demand for expandable graphite-based flame-retardant building materials is being driven by a number of factors including:
- High profile fires that have resulted in substantial loss of life and property – Grenfell Apartment Tower in the United Kingdom, Dubai skyscraper fires, the Port of Tianjin and the Lacrosse apartment building in Australia – with the rapid spread of such fires attributed to the use of flammable external cladding
- Chinese building regulations which mandate the use of expandable graphite-based flame-retardant building materials, however these are scarcely enforced due to a lack of flame retardant supply
- A review of building regulations in a number of major countries
- Issues associated with obtaining insurance for buildings that do not have expandable graphite-based cladding
- The absence of a competitor product for expandable graphite-based flame-retardant building materials
In December 2017, at a graphite industry and graphite building materials conference held in Xingshan, Hubei Province, China, Mr Jiang Yang, Group Vice President, China National Building Materials and President, China Building Materials Application Technology Research Institute, stated that “China needs 40Mtpa of FRBMs, which will contain 5% expandable graphite”. This represents an annual requirement of 2 million tonnes of expandable graphite.
Source: Corporate Presentation –Definitive Feasibility Study